Friday, March 17, 2006

Ebay






So, I have a new addiction.

Ebay...
Over the years I have browsed through the millions of items for auction online but I have never seriously thought about buying anything....until about a month ago. A little bit ago I discovered that I needed a new computer cord for my laptop. Since my computer is three years old, it is considered obsolete by Dell standards and therefore they have quit making the cord for my computer. So what is a girl to do....that is right, Ebay to the rescue.
Well, I ordered the computer cord and it arrived at my home a few days later. I know that it is a used cord but it looks like it had been super-glued in one place because it is suspiciously shiny. So I sent an email to the seller informing them of my shiny cord and I never heard back from them. After a few weeks of no-answer I decided it was time to leave some feedback on the seller (For anyone who is new to ebay like I am, feedback is apparently something taken very seriously by the ebay community. It is their way of rating buyers and sellers and keeping track of sellers you can trust. And remember this was my first time to ever do this). So I give the transaction and seller a negative rating and listed that my reasoning for doing so was failure of the seller to answer my email.
The next afternoon I am sitting on my couch enjoying spring break and wasting time looking at blogs when my cell phone rings. It was a number I did not recognize and instead of screening it I decided to answer. When the voice on the other end started speaking I could almost hear the bottle-cap glasses and pocket protector. It was the seller of my computer cord. He was calling in response to the negative feedback I had left him the night before. He was telling me how he had sent me an email immediately after I had sent him one and blah, blah, blah. He even resent it to me while we were on the phone. Apparently the original one got lost in cyber-space. So after a painfully awkward phone call that lasted about ten minutes we decided to mutually withdraw the negative feedback....and now all is well. And I also learned that nerds love ebay.

So, back to the addiction. After finding my computer cord on there, I started looking up other items that I am in need of and am finding it difficult to find in stores (and finding them at a lower price!). Just yesterday I won something for the wedding from there that is at least $70 in stores. I was so happy that I found it on ebay and won it for half the retail price. And currently, I am keeping my eye on some pottery barn sheets that go with our new bedding that are being discontinued at pottery barn.
I think I like ebay because it combines two of my favorite things: shopping and sitting on the couch!!

18 comments:

Sarah said...

Justin buys and sells ALL of his school books on ebay. It is a pretty cool website!

Senegal Daily said...

Don't laugh. I bought my wedding veil on e-Bay. It was $17 for just what I wanted, and in the stores the ugly ones started at $90!

Ashley said...

I have actually been looking at veils on ebay too!! You really cannot find a better deal! I definitely believe that veils are over-priced! If I don't find one on ebay then we (me and a wonderful friend) will probably make one.

Anonymous said...

e-bay is also great for gifts for people with strange hobbies and obsessions. Like NY Giants stuff for people who already have all the 'normal' fan gear. Just an idea.

Stacy said...

i love e-bay. i go through spurts of addiction. according to my profile i've been an ebayer since 2000 and i only have 15 points next to my name. so i guess it's not a true addiction since i do go in and out of it. i've only had one thing i had to send back to the seller. they've never had my phone number. how did he get your cell?

Ashley said...

You know, Stacy, I have wondered that myself. I think I should check into that....

Ashley said...

Steph,

Yeah yesterday I got caught up looking at the "weird stuff" they have listed. One item up for auction is one whole day spent in the company of a retired drug dealer!!! What in the world!

bradley said...

im right there with you on ebay...it is very addicting...i have found many polo shirts on there for $20 compared to retail of $55...you have to watch out for bad sellers though.

meredith said...

Craigslist has my attention right now. It is local and pictures are usually posted with the item as well. It is like an online garage sale.

Unknown said...

Hey lil Red, what up?! Just wanted to give you a little shout out, been missing you. I'm glad shonnie told me about the whole blogging thing. Hope to hear from you!!!!

Anonymous said...

the only thing better then shopping while sitting on the couch is shopping while sitting on the couch AND eating!!

Ashley said...

Oh, Marisa...
You are truly a girl after my own heart!!!

Anonymous said...

time for something new up here.

Anonymous said...

hey girl! I'm so glad I got to meet you and austin. Can't wait to see you both again.

Sarah said...

Isn't it time for a new post??!!

elly said...

Yes - oak grove is correct!!

Michael, Meg & Naomi said...

it's time to change the "(and soon to be sawyer)" link.

Unknown said...

Alright, I'm agreeing with Sarah, it's time to post something new. By the way, can I come to the wedding or is seating limited? Cause I would definetly try to get off for that wonderful event. I might even wear a dress or something.