Friday, October 24, 2008

disgustingness

i hate mayo. and so does the husband. i hate it so much that it is not worth the effort to type out it's full and proper name. I know that i am not alone in this...but i am also aware of the mayo lovers. i am the minority in my family. although, from my understanding, even within mayo-loving circles there are taste preferences. my mom uses hellman's and my dad is a miracle whip kinda guy. i choose to abstain. that is right, i am mayo celibate.
it really ticks me off when i order a sandwich or burger when dining out, only to find that they RUINED my food by violating it with that disgustingness known as mayo. it has become second nature for me to say "with NO mayo" when ordering such items.
the problem with hating mayo is that i really like many foods that involve mayo as an ingredient...one in particular is chicken salad. In an attempt to enjoy usually mayo-laden foods, i have started substituting the mayo for more perry-friendly ingredients. Last night for supper i made a mayo-free chicken salad for sandwiches that would accompany our homemade veggie soup. I thought it was very delicious and would like to share it with you. Feel free to modify to your personal preference, because after all, that is one of the many joys of cooking!
Chicken salad (clever name to come later)
mine made enough for 4 good size sandwiches
*chicken...i used all but the breast meat of a rotisserie chicken from walmart. roasted chicken without the work of cooking it! i personally do not like canned chicken, but it would work fine here.
*celery...i finely chopped one stalk
*onion, finely chopped...to your personal taste
*grapes...i quartered about 12-15 green grapes
*walnuts...these are very good for you and add good crunch! i used a handful.
*dried cranberries...i chopped a handful
*1 ounce of cream cheese...i used weight watchers pre-portioned 1 oz cups that come 8 to a box. only 1 pt per cup for anyone counting!
*4 ounces of fat free plain yogurt, or half a small container.
*a couple of large spoonfuls of sour cream, i used light.
*a few squirts of yellow mustard
*a couple shots of tabasco...i used the smoked chipotle flavor
*salt
*pepper
*tony chachere's (creole seasoning for anyone not in the know!)

7 comments:

Brooke said...

AMEN! Mayo is in fact disgusting!! It's not one of those "just wipe it off with a paper towel, it'll be ok" kinda tastes, no it's ruined! I'm glad I'm not the only on. =)

meredith said...

I think you know how my husband and I feel about this subject. We are a mayo free household!!

Last week at church we had boxed lunches and I ordered a turkey on wheat. Who knew it would be coated with mayo on both sides? It ruined my whole day!

ashley said...

this is cracking me up, as i would eat mayo with a spoon out of the jar if it wasn't for the obvious devastating health problems that would more than likely follow:)

Ashley said...

ashley...i think i just threw up in my mouth a little!

B-HO said...

DRAMA!!this recipe sounds D-I-E!!(rachel zoe reference)I want some ...you will have to make this for me next time I am around...I LOVE that you are so domesticated...

auDi tHis woRld said...

I think you should also post your veggie soup recipe! :-)

Anonymous said...

Nope. Top secret.