Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Was it just a Howard thing??

Yesterday I went with my roomie, Deanna, to Norfolk, Va. She had a job interview and I had the day off.
So to get to Norfolk you must drive through a 2 to 3 mile long tunnel. I got very excited when Deanna informed me of our imminent adventure...I was all smiles and giggles (imagine that). When we entered the tunnel I immediately rolled down my window, stuck my head out, and screamed at the top of my lungs. When I came back inside the automobile Deanna had a perplexing look on her face and asked me what in the world did I just do. "Are you serious?" was my reply. I thought everyone knew the tunnel rule...which is when passing through a tunnel one must yell, honk the horn, or make as much noise as possible.
She had truly never heard of such nor had she ever taken part. I was shocked! I proceeded to tell her how when we were growing up and traveling with our parents and we encountered a tunnel, my dad would always roll our windows down and we would cram our heads out the window and shout at the top of our lungs....and all the while, my dad would be honking the horn and yelling out his window while my mom would cover her ears and watch nervously from the front seat making sure that we did not fall out the window. Ahhh, good times road tripping with the Howard's in our Pontiac station wagon!
The more I think about the tunnel rule I am realizing that it did not only apply to driving. I remember growing up on Lake Providence and going fishing with my family. There was one tunnel inparticular that you could go through in your boat that went under a road. This tunnel was always a highlight in our fishing experience because everytime we went through it we got to yell and holler and scare away all the fish.
So really, was this just a weirdo Howard thing or did anyone else abide by the tunnel rule when they were growing up? Either way it doesn't matter because I plan to carry on the tradition.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you weird-o howards. i was always told that you have to hold your breath the entire time that you were in a tunnel. you're super special if you can make it the whole way through (of course, those super duper long ones never really worked out though).

Anonymous said...

ashley,
thanks for the comment on my xanga site...and i am so glad that you now have a comment section here...that was distressing to not be able to leave a comment. hope that VA is treating you well....i am coming that direction in may...we should get together or something...anyway...take care

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with libby. You are definitely supposed to hold your breath through the tunnel, and it is possible on the Norfolk tunnel...because yours truly made it through :o) Course, it is a bad idea if you are the driver...

Ashley said...

no, no, no, you hold your breath on bridges...except for the bridge that goes over lake ponchatrain b/c that is just impossible, but the Mississippi river bridge is definitely do-able.
I guess the whole point of screaming in a tunnel is for the echo...and to let out some pent up energy from riding in the car.