Tuesday, April 08, 2003

So today has been a good one (although a little long). Me and Stephanie spoke at a school assembly bright and early this morning…7am! Before we left this morning I picked up some clothes off my floor to put them away. I picked up a pair of shorts to fold and suddenly I felt something odd. I quickly threw them down and nearly started crying because I knew I had just touched some sort of living creature. So I carefully wiggled the shorts to get whatever was inside to crawl (or slither) out. And wouldn’t you know it…a lizard. Now this isn’t a type of lizard I had seen before. It was kinda bumpy and had an unusually large, misshapen head. So when I returned home from the assembly I walked into my room and found my new “friend” ON MY BED!! That was it, the last straw. I got a dust pan and tried to scoop it up in that to throw it outside. But he refused. So then I called for reinforcements. I turned to the resident expert hunter of lizards…chikulu (stephanie’s cat). I brought chikulu into my room and showed him the lizard. I guess you can pretty much figure out what happened next. Thanks, chikulu!

I have started Chronological Bible Storying (cbs) at a new location. It is more rural than the place I was at before, kalingalinga. The new place is called State Lodge. I have been there 3 times so far. I go on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. It will last for three months so I should be done at the end of June. So far I really like it out there. The children are so attentive and well-behaved….let’s hope they keep it up. My language/culture tutor, Womba, comes with me to translate and help lead choruses. I could not do it without her! I am so thankful for her and her willingness to help me.



The fierce hunter, chikulu. Womba, my friend and language teacher



My friend, Mr. lizard….may he rest in piece(s).




Here is a group of kids who came to cbs today. Afterwards, I gave them a ride to the end of the road.

No comments: