Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Hootie and Billy Bob's


Saturday night, Austin and I were finally able to check off an item of our "must-do-while-living-in-Fort-Worth list." We went to Billy Bob's Texas. Wednesday, I was surfing the net while waiting for the children to finish their naps, and I discovered that one of Austin's favorite bands, Hootie and the Blowfish, was performing during the weekend. So, we went and braved the loooong line at the door. The performance was great, but I must confess that the atmosphere was not to my liking. I am 28, I like to SIT and enjoy my music and Darius Rucker. Afterall, Billy Bob's is just a really big overgrown bar...or honky tonk (the world's largest). I do not appreciate being herded like cattle and having to swallow my rage towards the 300lb drunk college student who is knocking me over while dancing like Carlton from the Fresh Prince, all the while with a full cup of alcohol (I am guessing it was beer) in hand. Also, to add to that point, I do not reccommend wearing sandals or any other open toe shoe to Billy Bob's. If your feet do not get alcohol spilled on them, they will most definitely get smushed by all the other cattle!!! When leaving BB I had to apologize to Austin for getting on to him earlier for wearing his 15 year old worn out Doc Martin's in public. At first I thought he was trying to re-live the mid-nineties by wearing them and listening to Hootie simultaneously. But, alas, my husband has more sense than I give him credit for (don't tell him I said that).

Overall, I really enjoyed Hootie....and the 40 year old couple who was grinding to Hootie's golden oldies right beside us (it was too ridiculous to expound upon!!). They played some of their new country stuff and a lot of their hits with a few covers mixed in..."champagne supernova" and David Alan Coe's, "You never even called me by my name" had the crowd going.

We are glad we saw them!


7 comments:

Michael, Meg & Naomi said...

Man! I wish I knew they were going to be there (we were at the Peach Festival any way).

I have yet to visit Billy Bob's. Meg has been, a couple of times I think. One day maybe.

Ashley said...

Did you bring us back some peaches?? Naomi would have loved the concert!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE, LOVE me some Hootie!!! That post is stinkin funny!! :)

Anonymous said...

I've been to enough concerts to know that old, scuffed-up, boot-like shoes are useful (even if they look too "90s").
The show was great, they are a really fun band to see live. But, yeah, the venue was not really my thing.

Melissa said...

Seeing Hootie sounded like fun! I've never been to Billy Bob's, but Ryan saw Chris Ledoux there, I think. Ryan's going to Shreveport for the 4th weekend (Will Powell's bachelor boy's weekend). I'm running in a 5k Friday morning, then heading to work. I want to see you SOON! Its been over a year!!

auDi tHis woRld said...

fun!!!!

Justin said...

Austin and Ashley-

I jealous that you got to see Darius and the blowfish. We don't get such high quality cultural experiences here in Martin. Maybe someday the soybean festival will bring Hootie!