Monday, June 30, 2008

The Modern

Sunday, we ate at our favorite after-church-lunch-place in Fort Worth, Cafe Modern. It is the restaurant inside the Modern Art Museum. The menu changes four times a year to go along with the four seasons. As of yesterday, we have experienced all four seasons/menus. Hold on to your hats, because Austin got the TIRAMISU PANCAKES and I got the modern omelet with fresh friut. Both dishes were very delicious, but Austin's took the (pan)cake!! There are no words for how ridiculously good they were. They were so sweet and rich that he could not power through and finish them off. Good thing for him I was there to pick up the slack! To see the Sunday brunch menu, click here. The menu describes the pancakes. We love the atmosphere at the Cafe Modern and have never had to wait for a table, even on a Sunday after church. Also, it is GREAT for summer because the restaurant is always cold (so bring a sweater)!!
We have taken the Sankses's'ss (I have no idea how to write the plural of Sanks) to eat there before, but I believe it was an off experience and it did not impress. I hope they will give it another try because it is well worth it!
On a side note, the Cafe Modern has THE BEST strawberry-white chocolate scones on the face of the earth! I asked if the chef gives out her recipe, and sadly she does not. But, I do not blame her, I would not either! The bad news is the scones are not for sale either...they are only available in your bread basket (and they only bring one!).
So, there ya go. Go enjoy the Cafe Modern!!!

4 comments:

Michael, Meg & Naomi said...

You make it to the top of the blog roll, and then the bufkins knock you off.

And we'll have you know that we enjoyed the Modern's cafe quite a bit, thank you very much.

Jessica said...

i LOVE brunch at the cafe. it's one of my favorite places to take people when they come to visit. we had their chipotle cheesecake appetizer there once...to die for! and i'm so with you on the scones.

the atmosphere is so...hoity-toity, but not too much. i mean, c'mon, the reflection pool and all that. greatness.

Brooke said...

This post is giving me a serious cravin' for some pancakes!! mmm...

Ashley said...

Jess...Austin knows that he ain't gettin' the one lone scone that comes in the bread basket. Good thing for me the boy doesn't go crazy for bread (or food for that matter!!)like I do. And I agree the the atmosphere is a perfect blend of sophistication and casual. We wanted to take Austin's dad there for father's day, but the grill won out.
Brooke...I do not even love pancakes, but I was about to pick his plate up and lick it clean!!! Those were the best damn pancakes ever! I am thinking seriously of trying to replicate them at home, along with the scones!
Michael and Meg...Sorry for selling you guys short. My memory of our experience is a little fuzzy. All I can remember well is that feeling I got after unknowingly eating some sort of dairy product (probably some sort of cream in the eggs benedict sauce...yikes!). When you move back here, let's go again...and no dairy for me!